If you're looking to add a furry friend to your family, adopting a rescue pet from New Hope Animal Rescue (NHAR) in Austin, Texas may be the perfect option for you. NHAR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing loving homes for rescue dogs and cats, and we're here to guide you through the adoption process. It is important that before adopting or fostering a new pet, that you confirm with your vet that your current resident pets are current vaccinations and preventions.
Why Adopt a Rescue Pet?
Adopting a rescue pet not only saves a life, but it also brings joy and love to your home. When you adopt a pet from a rescue organization like NHAR, you're giving a pet a second chance at a happy life. Our rescue dogs and cats come from a variety of backgrounds, including those that were surrendered by their owners or rescued from shelters. No matter their background, all of our pets are in need of a loving home and a chance to start a new life.
To adopt a pet from NHAR, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a stable living environment
- Provide proof of home ownership or landlord approval
- Have a valid form of ID
- Agree to a home visit
- Provide personal references and if you have owned pets perviously, a veterinary reference
- All pets in your home must be current on vaccines, spayed or neutered and current on monthly heartworm and flea preventions. A little late on something? We will give you time to catch your pet up!
The adoption process at NHAR involves several steps to ensure that each pet is placed in a home that is a suitable fit for both the pet and the adopters. Here's what you can expect when adopting a pet from us:
- Browse our available pets online
- Fill out an adoption application
- Wait for a response from our team to set up a phone interview
- Meet the pet in person (by appointment only)
- The required home visit might take place before or after the meet and greet
- Pay the adoption fee and sign the adoption contract
- Take your new pet home!
It's important to note that all of our animals are in foster care, and meet and greets for dogsand cats are only done after an application has been filled out and tentatively approved. Our goal is to ensure that each pet is placed in a loving, permanent home that is the best fit for both the pet and the family.
The cost of adopting a pet from NHAR ranges from $175 to $350 for dogs and from $75 to $175 for cats. Many of the pets that come to us need a great deal of medical care. The fee helps offset some just some of the core vet care for each pet, including:
- Spaying or neutering
- Core vaccinations
- Testing for FeLV [cats] and Heartworms [dogs]
- Flea and heartworm prevention
- Any other necessary medical care
Getting Help with Your New Pet
At NHAR, we understand that adopting a new pet can be overwhelming, but we're here to help. Although we don't have training classes, we can offer limited trainer services or help with integrating your rescue pet into your home. Our goal is to ensure that each pet and family are a good match, and we're here to provide support every step of the way.
Adopting a rescue pet from NHAR can be a life-changing experience, both for you and the pet. If you're interested in giving a rescue dog or cat a second chance at a happy life, we encourage you to visit our website to learn more about our available pets and the adoption process.
At NHAR, we believe that every pet deserves a loving home, and we're dedicated to making that a reality for as many pets as possible. Our team of volunteers and fosters work tirelessly to provide the best possible care for each pet, and we're proud to be making a difference in the lives of both pets and their owners.
We believe that pets save us as much as we save them. We hope you find you furever friends!